A respiratory condition is not always obvious to other people; it is often referred to as an ‘invisible illness.’
People do not always realise the impact respiratory conditions can have on a person’s life and the lives of their families and carers. This means they don’t always receive the necessary support and understanding.
However other members of a Support Group do understand and this understanding and empathy can help. In addition, self management is central to long term rehabilitation but many people find making significant changes to the way they lead their lives very difficult and need additional support.
There are 25 Respiratory Support Groups right across Northern Ireland.
Contact a Group – for information and contacts for a group in your area click here
The Respiratory Support Groups meet regularly to offer support to people living with respiratory conditions their families and carers. They:
- Allow people to share experiences
- Provide information on Living with respiratory condition
- Provide information on healthy life styles
- Organise social events and outings
- Promote continued rehabilitation
- Point the way to other NICHS Services – Self Management, Respite & Befriending Service and Welfare Grants
- Provide an opportunity to highlight concerns and advocate on behalf of members.